It’s another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
The official Top Ten Tuesday meme is taking a hiatus from weekly topics until August 15th. Until then, we bloggers are tasked with coming up with our own topics, if we want!
This particular list has been bouncing around in my head and in my “book journal” for a while. I’ve been noting and collecting a few quotes here and there during my reading routine about books. It’s super fun when you can share a love for reading with authors vicariously through their own stories. Further proof that books and stories are influential and important to life!
10 Favorite Book Quotes About Books
1. “That’s what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It’s geometrically progressive – all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.” – Juliet in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
2. “I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in book that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true.” – Juliet in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
3. “‘They’re as much your friends as they are mine. I don’t mean it in some strange or creepy anti-social way. I mean that reading forms your opinions, your worldview, especially childhood reading, and anything that does has an impact. So call them friends, call some stories enemies if you want, but don’t deny their influence.’ She popped up straight. ‘You learn drama from the Brontës; sense from Austen; social justice from Dickens; beauty from Wordsworth, Keats, and Byron; patience and perseverance form Gaskell; and don’t even get me started on exercising your imagination with Caroll, Doyle, Wells, Wilde, Stoker –‘ “-Lucy in The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay
4. ” ‘You are your own person and I wouldn’t worry about the stories. We all compare our lives to them. That’s why we love them; they help us understand ourselves.’ ” – Helen to Lucy in The Brontë Plot by Katherine Reay
5. “I love coming to the bookstore. Cause it’s awesome. I take a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. I love the smell of books. Of paper. Of coffee. Of coffee and paper. It’s poetically beautiful.” – Izze’s POV in Love, Lace, and Minor Alterations by V. Joy Palmer
6. “Books told stories. Books told us about ourselves.” – from A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay
7. ” ‘You put new meaning to the word bookworm. More like a book… boa constrictor.’ “- Blake Hunziker in Here to Stay by Melissa Tagg
8. “She still remembered the expression on his face last week when he’d finished and closed the last tome. He’d looked pleased and just a bit melancholy. She knew those dual feelings well – the satisfaction of completing a well-written piece of literature while also coming to terms with the fact that those few moments of pure bliss would soon be replaced with a longing for more.” – from Whispers in the Reading Room by Shelley Gray
9. ” ‘Within the pages of books one’s heart can be revealed.’ “-Sister Agnes in The Sound of Silver by Rachelle Rea Cobb
10. “John had once vanquised terrorists intent on killing him and the people he’d been guarding. She couldn’t even vanquish the to-be-read pile of books on her nightstand.” – from True to You by Becky Wade
Did you participate in this week’s TTT? What are some of your favorite quotes about books?