A couple months ago, Jane by the Book by Pepper Basham released as a part of the “Once Upon a Laugh” novella collection. I’m still reading my way through that one — it’s very fun! BUT NOW, Pepper’s novella is available on its own in paperback! *happy dance* If you’re looking for a cute and tender romcom, look no further that the adorably quirky Titus and Jane.
Four years ago, Jane Warwick escaped the shame and heartbreak of being jilted at the altar by becoming a housekeeper at the secluded Inn at Simeon Ridge. Predictable and quiet, the inn helps Jane find a place to heal and celebrates her strengths, where she is promoted to head housekeeper. But an unexpected visit to Bath, England, upsets Jane’s plans and sends her out of her comfort zone, directly into the harrowing path of historical detective author, Titus Stewart.
The only plans Titus sticks to are family holidays and the ones that send him careening into his story worlds, but when an uptight and nervous innkeeper stumbles into his life – and his latest novel – nonfiction begins to take on a much more interesting gleam.
As the unlikely pair delve into the mystery behind a one-hundred-and-fifty-year-old letter, will they both uncover a romance that stands the test of time?
List of the reasons you should read Jane by the Book ASAP:
- Pop culture and Sherlock and mysteries and general bookishness. Oh, and BATH, England!
- A super-relatable heroine — whose cluelessness is realistic and sets up growth and personal realizations women of the world need to hear!
- A wonderfully bookish and nerdy hero with an internal monologue that will make you giggle. He definitely earns the nickname #terrificTitus!
- An intriguing family mystery with smart parallels to Jane’s own heart-journey
- Simply put, CORGIS!
- And, last but not least, a sweet and charming romance that will have you rooting for the happily ever after!